Paella is the perfect dish for gluten-avoiders, because it’s naturally gluten free and surprisingly easy to make. The recipe is also pretty flexible so you can substitute whatever meat or seafood you have to hand.
Here’s how we made this gluten-free chicken and chorizo paella – it disappeared within minutes!
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 15 g fresh parsley
- 70 g chorizo
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 cube gluten free chicken stock
- 300 g rice
- 100 g frozen peas
- Peel and finely slice the garlic.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion.
- Chop the parsley stalks, then roughly chop the chorizo and chicken thighs.
- Pour a tablespoon of oil into a lidded shallow casserole pan, and put on a medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrot, parsley stalks, chorizo, chicken and paprika.
- Fry for five minutes, stirring regularly.
- Deseed and chop the pepper, then add to the pan for a further five minutes.
- Stir through the tomato purée and crumble in the stock cube, then add the rice and stir for a couple of minutes so it starts to suck up all that lovely flavour.
- Pour in 750ml of boiling water and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the peas and prawns, replace the lid, and cook for a further five minutes, or until hot through.
- Season, then chop the parsley leaves, scatter them over the paella.